Another childhood memory...don't we love those memories? Isn't everything just bigger than life? Yes, I remembered going here and so I looked it up on the internet. It still existed and was about 1 1/4 hours drive from Elmore in Westbend, Iowa. Well, there was no way that I would not be sharing this with Jamie and Brecklyn. It was now on the trip agenda!
For those of you who have never heard of this place. It's beautiful, it's religious, (Catholic) and stands next to an old Catholic parish from about the year 1883. The man who created this became sick and prayed that if he were healed he would build a shrine and he was and he did. He gathered stones, shells, semi-precious gems worldwide and built this shrine. Which by the way, isn't so tiny. I can't imagine the work that went into this. They don't advertise, but I guess I am in my own way.
In the front is a pond with swans and ducks.
My memories were somewhat accurate, and here is what we found:
Here are the Guardians of the Grotto!
Even the museum was similar. Not to mention the ladies' room shown below!
The beauty of this place is only diminished by the beauty of my daughter! Ha! Ha! I know you will love this one, Jamie!
And these beautiful Bavarian stained-glass windows, of course!
The empty tomb, signifying the Resurrection and the Life.
Vibrant colored gems everywhere!
And even some stalagtites. He even has some growing in one of his grottos.
Then after we saw everything we took a look in the museum. It explained the history and the stories behind the Grotto. Samples of the stones shown below.
And then I saw what is now the vintage plate souvenir that is still in my parent's home. This is no longer available, :( but I guess I will eventually inherit this one. I was able to buy a "new version". But because this one is in my "memories", it is more special to me!
Petrified wood is also used in the Grotto.
Here is a tribute to the Father who created this beautiful monument:
And that is the conclusion of your Grotto tour! Hope you enjoyed it. Let me say that the photos do this place absolutely no justice. It is a sight to behold! If in northern Iowa, take a trip to West Bend! It is worth the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment