Monday, July 22, 2013

Signposts

Things I noticed about town in Elmore that I took pictures of just because...
Wild flowers and corn fields everywhere the eye could see...
Propane tanks for heating.  I remember we had some kind of truck that came and pumped some kind of "oil" into our basement "tank" as our fuel for the winter.  Here in Utah we have underground natural gas mains.  Interesting...
Dirt roads.  This road is the Minn-Iowa border road and I don't think it was ever paved that I recall.
The old Elmore water tower.  Can you see it from far, far away?  I remember that the original one looked like a cone-shape and as though it was made of aluminum or something similar.  Ha ha!
Jean Brown's house.  This house stands on the corner of Iowa street and was the corner we turned on to walk home from school.  On the opposite side of the street I remember something that happened.  Carolyn, Cindy and I were walking home from school and Carolyn said that she thought she was coming down with the mumps.  Her neck was all swollen.  Yup, she was and then Cindy got it shortly after.  I NEVER got the mumps, although the whole school was closed for a while till the cases passed.  Now there's a shot for that.  When I told Jamie about the mumps, she was surprised about your neck "growing".  She had no idea!
The bike in front of this house looks like my old bike, my main wheels for many years!  Took me to Iowa on a regular basis, ha!



Houses in disrepair or long abandoned showing economical problems and loss of population.
Signs of remembering and celebrations of 150 years.
A school, now no longer serving that purpose displaying the name of a former Vice President, Elmore's claim to fame.

A new water tower to last for the future years.
Ostermann's sledding hill, a reminder of fun times as kids in the deep snows of Minnesota.
The old goal post, reminding of the Wildcats touchdowns...in years past...
The bleachers where fans cheered them on, never to do so again...
An empty lot where once stood the first house we lived at in Elmore just briefly and rented while searching for a house to buy...
The old park, a place for children to make new memories.














No comments: