Sunday, August 19, 2012

Labor Intensive! Summer Harvest Time Begins

I tried to upload some pics but I could upload none whatsoever, so there must be some blogger issues going on.  The last two days I have spent every evening picking black currants.  I have a love-hate relationship with these little babies that started on one of my European trips, probably one to Poland, I imagine.  I LOVE black currant juice.  Every European trip I look forward to the black currants and pierogis and the cultural foods of the countries I visit. 

So after one trip I decided I must absolutely have my own black currants.  So I looked locally for them and they were no where to be found.   So I looked on line and found a company somewhere in Oregon, I believe it was.  They sent me their catalog and I was in seventh heaven.  Well I assumed I would be receiving a larger looking bush-like thing when I received my order of 10 starts.  Well, that was what they were.  10 sticks....I also ordered about that many for my mom, too.   I remember wondering if these sticks would ever amount to anything.  We planted them and have had currants ever since.  Some of my bushes are much bushier than the others.  The south side planted ones are big, and the north end of the row is scrawny.  I wondered why.  Last night while finishing up the picking part of the ordeal, I got tangled into an ant pile.  They were all over my legs.  Picking now was even less fun than before and I figure these little pests are the reason that my bushes aren't doing so well in that corner.

It took forever to pick the 4 million berries, which took even longer to clean.  They all come on at the same time and so its a big picking event for me.  What a job it is every late summer about the middle of August.  I was very happy though to have received a cute little camp stool from my daughter when she returned from Bear Lake.  It had come with a large insulated bag that she got me.  I haven't yet used the bag, but I love the stool.  It was perfect for currant picking on the lower bushes.  Saved the back, the knees and it was great.

Then after cleaning those babies, I put them in the steam juicer and got my currant juice.  So I love the juice, but I HATE the slave labor that they incur on me.  The kitchen was a mess and so was I!  I am glad that is over!  But now the next big harvest is the red cabbage, which I prepare, German style, and then I freeze it.  Last year, and several previous years, we have been planting red cabbage.  They are always ready early fall and are another labor intensive harvest.  But not quite as bad as those little mini berries I just finished. 

No comments: