Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Find a Grave

So another assignment is to log in to Find a Grave and find some famous people.  I found Bob Hope's entry.  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7716821 There was no picture of his stone that I could see, but a story about him and a picture while he was still young.  I chose him because I had an interesting experience with Bob Hope when I was about 18-19 years old.  At that time I was a BYU student and had flown home to California, stand-by style and got bumped in Las Vegas.  I was a little distraught because it didn't look like there was another seat available till the following day.  So the man at the counter said to me that he had an idea if I would wait a minute while he checked the matter out.  So I did.  While I waited, I saw him go up to a man and he asked if I could fly on his private flight to Palm Springs.  The man looked at me and it was Bob Hope.  I about fainted... Bob Hope said I could go.  So I got on this very small plane and away we went.  When I got to the airport in Palm Springs, which was still small back in those days, my dad was late picking me up due to a flat tire.  I waited in the front and was all alone when Bob Hope came up to me, swinging a golf club.  He began speaking to me and I have to admit that I can't remember a word of that conversation, except that I was just amazed.  Finally a limo came for him and after that sometime later, finally my dad showed up.  Too late to meet Bob Hope though.  Anyway, that was what came to mind as I was working on this assignment.

No comments: