Saturday, September 7, 2013

So I Have Been a Bit Lazy...And About being a Mormon in Freiberg/Sachsen

It is getting harder to post on my blog as it seems there is always something else that needs doing.  So today I decided that I would try to post something.  My aunt has sent my mom some old pictures from her youth in Freiberg/Sachsen and I have scanned them and given scans to other interested friends from the Freiberg Mormon community who are now living in Salt Lake City.  They were excited to see them and so I thought I would share some more.  A friend, Ulrike Hegewald, who is also from this place mentioned that she will help me identify people, so that is in the works. And I am sure my dad can also help.   But in the meantime, here are some pictures.  Thanks Tante Ruth for bringing back some old memories for many people.
My Aunt Ruth and friend Regina in Loesnitz

Inge Fleischer, who came to America, Salt Lake City, with many of the Mormon community of Freiberg.
Ruth and best friend, Inge Fleischer.

Youth group, including my mom and dad, in the back row and Ruth, also.  I don't know the others and will get help on identifying the others.

My parents and Ruth and friends

Ruth and best friend, Inge Fleischer.
This must be a favorite place back in Freiberg, because I have seen many pictures of this.  I don't know how far it is to the ground, but I wouldn't want to fall over the edge. Wonder what's down below?  I see my parents and Ruth.


Sometimes I think it is amazing that we can now so easily scan pictures and preserve them.  Cool!


My parents, grandmother, in front and Ruth.

Little Ruth. 

A German goat, ha ha!

The young Henkel girls, Gisa, Thea and Ingrid.

Hegewalds, I believe.

My grandmother, Ottilie Gralla and 2 ladies I don't know.  My grandmother on the far left.
Are we fixing food for dinner or exercising?


The sign on the pulpit was stitched by the mother of the Hegewalds.  This was told to me by Ulrike, the daughter.  It says Liebet Euch, Love one another.

This must be a group of the young women from Freiberg.  They look like a happy bunch.  I think that they probably were all very close in the church  in Freiberg and built strong relationships one to another.  I get that feeling because my parents are still in touch with those now in Utah and those that they knew that are still living in Germany.  I think its nice!  I like to do the same with my Minnesota friends of my early life.

No comments: